Ph. D. Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education
M.A. Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education
Major. Christian Education
B.A. University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.
Major. Theology, Honors – Upper division, 2nd class
Dipl.. Ministerial Studies United Theological College of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.
B.A. University of Guyana
Major. English, pass with distinction
Fall 2015 to 2017
Adjunct Faculty Member. Saint Paul School of Theology.
2014 to present
Spiritual Mentor and Prayer/Life Coach. SurrenderInPrayer
2013 to present
Director of youTheology Institute. Oversee and manage the transition of youTheology to an independent non-profit organization. Oversee staff, initiate and manage program, implement strategies for long term viability, build and manage websites.
2005 to 2103
Director of youTheology and Youth Ministry Specialist in Residence, Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City, MO. Oversee staff, initiate and manage current program as well as program changes (structural and personnel), implement strategies for long term viability, grant writing, reports to funders. Teach in the seminary curriculum.
1989 to present
Minister, Guyana Congregational Union (GCU), ordained in March 1990. Positions held as follows:
- Youth Coordinator, 1989 to 1999. Responsibilities included planning, executing and coordinating national and international (with churches in Jamaica, Grand Cayman and the United Kingdom and other parts of the world) youth and Sunday School programmes, and working with the Guyana Congregational Young People’s Union.
- Convenor, Mission Education Unit, 1995 – 1999. Responsibilities included designing and conducting training programmes for Lay Pastors, Sunday School teachers, youth and other leaders.
- Pastor (interim), Wilberforce, 1998 – 1999. Responsibilities included preaching, visitation, and planning and executing educational and outreach programmes.
- Pastor (interim), Ebenezer, 1998-1999. Responsibilities included preaching, visitation, planning and executing educational programmes, acting as consultant for the village’s bicentenary celebrations.
- Pastor (interim), Smith Memorial, 1991 – 1993. Responsibilities included preaching, visitation, planning and executing educational programmes, and overseeing the church’s rebuilding programme.
- Coordinator, Education in Mission Process, 1991 – 1993. Planned and executed training sessions.
Smith, Claire Annelise. Life Is . . . How to Stay Stress-Free in the Midst of Chaos. Forthcoming.
Smith, Claire Annelise. How to Pray: 28-Day Devotional and Journal. Mission, KS: SurrenderInPrayer, 2016.
Smith, Claire Annelise. How to Pray: Study Guide. Mission, KS: SurrenderInPrayer, 2016.
Smith, Claire Annelise. How to Pray: Living Wholly Through Honest, Surrendered, Heart Praying. Mission, KS: SurrenderInPrayer, 2015.
Smith, Claire Annelise. Heart Cries: 100 Prayers of Faith, Hope, and Love. Mission, KS: SurrenderInPrayer, 2015.
Smith, Claire. ““Always Remembering Resurrection,” “Cry Out For People”, “Lead Us Out Of Ourselves,” We See Hope,” “Grant Us Your Peace,” “Help Us to Live By Your Word,” “Wind, Fire, Spirit . . . Come.” A Chair Pulled to the Place of Prayer: Prayer Handbook 2008. Geoffrey Duncan, ed. London: The United Reformed Church, 2007, 57-69.
Smith, Claire. “Hope” and “Freedom and Unity” in The Whole World Will Rejoice: New Worship Resources for Justice and Hope, comp. Geoffrey Duncan, Peterborough, UK: Inspire, 2007, 68, 140.
Smith, Claire. “The Return,” “Sight,” “God’s Hands,” “The Word,” “The Movement,” “Life,” “Mountains of Pain” Eternal Springs: An Anthology of Hope. Geoffrey Duncan, comp. Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2006.
Smith, Claire. “The Invitation,” “To Katie,” “In Their World,” “The Invader,” “The Least of These,” “Steadfast Love, Justice and Righteousness” in Entertaining Angels: A Worship Anthology on Sharing Christ’s Hospitality, comp. Geoffrey Duncan, Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2005.
Smith, Claire. “A Response to God’s Generosity” in Harvest for the World: A Worship Anthology on Sharing in the Work of Creation, comp. Geoffrey Duncan, Cleveland, Ohio: The Pilgrim Press, 2003, 225-228.
Smith, Claire. “A Peace Dream,” “At the Ocean,” “Peace Prayer,” “Peace” in Timeless Prayers for Peace, comp. Geoffrey Duncan, Cleveland, Ohio: The Pilgrim Press, 2003: 33, 56-7, 191-2, 286-7.
Smith, Claire. “Bible Study: What if the Women had been Silent?” Insaka: Linking Women and Men in Mission, #3, February 1994, Council for World Mission.
Smith, Claire Annelise. Entries “Missional Christian Education” and “The United Theological College of the West Indies.” Encyclopedia of Christian Education, Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
Smith, Claire Annelise. “Immediacy: The Intersection of Technological and Face-to-face Modalities in Educating a Younger Generation.” Proleptic Pedagogy: Theological Education Anticipating the Future. Sondra Higgins Matthaei and Nancy Howell, ed. Cascade Books, 2014, 70-91.
Smith, Claire Annelise. “The Necessity of Space: Using Disciplines, Silence and Creativity to Help Students Form Their Identities” in the July-August 2014 issue of Youth Worker Journal.
Free “Find My Balance Strategy Session. Click the button below.